Getting a terrible vibration from the Engine!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Constantine
New ITRCA Member

Getting a terrible vibration from the Engine!

Post by Constantine »

Hey Fellas,
I have been coming to this site for a while and decided to register because I'm scared shitless.

For the past two days my 2000 ITR Engine has had a massive harmonic vibration coming from the engine after 3000 rpm's. Not so much on throttle up but when you come off the throttle it is making this terrible vibrating sound (very similiar to a heat shield being loose or cracked exhaust header). I got under the car briefly to see if any heat shield was loose but nothing. I only noticed it when I was driving without the radio on. I got out opened the hood and rev'ed the sucker. The sound seems to be comoing from the left sige of the engine and it just sounds bloody terrible when your off the throttle and it goes past the 3000RPM mark.

The thing that gets me is, the car idles beautifully, it runs strong and steady and no indicator lights as all. I had changed the oil (earlier than my cycle) just be sure.

I will be going to Acura tomorrow, and I'm hoping it might be an issue that a valve adjustment might clear it up. Lord knows I have had Acura screw up several valve adjustments since my 97GSR days, but this does not sound like fluttering of the valves.

Any ideas on what the hell the problem could be and should I even attempt to drive to Acura (13 miles) tomorrow or should I get it towed?
Sprockett
ITRCA Member

Post by Sprockett »

The only thing I can think of is a broken motor mount, but I'm not sure if that would cause the noise you're describing.
2000 PY Integra Type-R Turbo
#2000-602
Check it out:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2185863/1
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Where are you?, It might be possible that one of us live near you and could help you out.
swed
Constantine
New ITRCA Member

Post by Constantine »

Hey Fellas, I live in Stuart Florida about 34 miles north of West Palm Beach. I just came back from a few hours at the office and this is really driving me nuts.

I just don't get it, if the engine is idling fine, and the power is there with no indicator lights then it must be something relatively minor. When you get off the throttle its different enough from the other ambient engine sound to hear it in the cabin.

Also with the sound being prevelant only around 3000 RPM it sounds like it could just be harmonics bouncing off components.

The real bitch is, I bought the car in April 2000 and it only has 38,000 miles. To top that even more I have had an entire pre assembled head replaced because my R got stripped in front of my house in 2003. (Bastards took the engine cover, cams, sprockets, wires, plugs, distributor, throtte body etc, I won't even get into the interior or lack of it) All the parts were from Honda and they did all the work. So in a sense my engine (and practically everything else) only has 15,000 miles on it.

All said and done it cost AllState 14,700 bucs, but now I'm not sure if I have a warranty on the parts and service that was performed.

I love my R, but man this car has been a complete hastle, and none of it is Honda's fault or mine.
SleeperR13
New ITRCA Member

Post by SleeperR13 »

Have you noticed any colors of smoke? Did the problem just start out of no where or did you perhaps mis-shift or anything eles? Weird???
The normal idel is where I'm confussed....

Tristan
00-0503
Constantine
New ITRCA Member

Post by Constantine »

Sorry for the little delay folks. Nah sleeper no smoke, no indications anything is off except today when I turned on the AC that vibration was consistant so immediately turned it off.

I made an appointment for 8AM Wednesday morning and I will be sure to keep you guys informed if anything comes up.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

maybe a loose injector clip causing an intermittent misfire (no fire) on one cylinder?
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
ITR4lifeYO
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR4lifeYO »

sounds like ur drivin a lemon. why the fuck did you by a piece of dog shit lemon? mite as well try the good ole method our fore fathers used. try about half a gallon of pasterized milk into the oil pan... it works wonders on a pos
2001 type r. stock... exept twin ball berring turbochargers. custom true dule exhaust. 50 shot NOS. spoons wheels and lugnuts. <mad tyte yo
Constantine
New ITRCA Member

Post by Constantine »

Well I got back from the Acura dealership this morning and according to their lead mechanic it's the heat shield by the collector.

It was my first visit to an Acura dealership here in Florida and I must admidt I was impressed. Very small but ultra clean and professional. In fact their lead mechanic (some 50 year old German guy) used to be a race mechanic for Mercedes!

Ya I quess I know where I'm going to be bringing my R for valve adjustments :lol:

I think he said the greatest remark I have ever heard from a mechanic. I asked him how good is he with doing valve adjustments (because since my 96 GSR days I probably seen a dozen mechanics get it wrong), his answer:

"Doing Valve adjustments on Acura is art, and it takes steady hand"

If that isnt the best damn answer you ever heard coming from a dealership mechanic I don't know what is. Spoken in almost a broken english wise man sort of way. Like a German version of Yoda except with dirty overalls.

I should be getting my Helm manual sometime this week and pick up a torque wrench. Looks like I'm going to be busy tightening up every damn nut and bolt on the car and if I have time...the kitchen sink, the boiler and if I'm really bored the microwave.

Thanks for your help fellas and keep up the good work with the site.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

glad you got it resolved and by a good sounding mechanic too.
swed
SleeperR13
New ITRCA Member

Post by SleeperR13 »

8)

Tristan
00-0503
JUN.R
ITRCA Member

Post by JUN.R »

ITR4lifeYO wrote:sounds like ur drivin a lemon. why the fuck did you by a piece of dog shit lemon? mite as well try the good ole method our fore fathers used. try about half a gallon of pasterized milk into the oil pan... it works wonders on a pos
why isn't this fuckin' queer banned yet :?: :!: :?:
IT-R Militia Member #43
2001 PY-R #0082
My Picture and Referece Thread
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1579748

http://www.junauto.co.jp