Motor Rebuild Question

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
MCP486
New ITRCA Member

Motor Rebuild Question

Post by MCP486 »

Ok, I finally got the clutch fixed in my '98 ITR. Next project is the motor. It is burning a lot of oil...about 3 qts in 1,000 miles (No, I don't let it get that low, but in a mileage figure). I held a piece of white paper behind the exhaust, and had my friend press the accelerator and it left a nice coating of oil on the paper. It's time for new pistons and rings. Here's my dilemma; if it is leaking oil, when I replace the pistons and rings, should I bore it .25mm over, or just replace the pistons? For just pistons and rings, it's about $800-1000 labor, but to bore it over, its about $2300. Thats a big difference, but I want to do it right. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Matt
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, I'm not sure where you're having yours bored out, but at the machine shop about 7 miles from my pad, they charge 120 bucks to line bore a block.

To go back to your post, if you burnt your rings you may want to go 25 over regardless if you need it or not, as if you don't, and you put it all back togather with new rings and are still getting blow-by, you're gonna be pretty pissed. Including the labor and parts it shouldn't cost you any more than about 2 grand, and that's everything down to new oil and air freshener. $2300 for labor alone is unheard of, even including parts that's very pricey, for that much $, I'd think you'd better be getting a fully built bottom end.

Any way, if you need some recomendations, let me know, but it sounds like you've been really misinformed, unless of course I misunderstood your post...

Later,
Aj
ITR97-143
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97-143 »

OMG 2300 damn...
theres a shop here in oregon that ive take all my motor too ..
i take it there Bare... block..
crank out
pistons and rods out
he will hone, balance, micro polish the crank,balance the crank, fly and crank pully, new piston rings and new block bearings,hot tank and assby it all back together to a shortblock for
$500 yes 500 for parts and labor.....
I 8 UR VETTE :)
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

wow

Post by Aj »

wow, thats a pretty damn good deal, imagining that that's almost two bills in parts alone...

What's the name of the shop????

Later,
Aj