Share Your Racing Stories

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Share Your Racing Stories

Post by pUrExTc »

Hey, this is for everyone to listen & learn, brag & boast, share your errors, etc. In other words, share your racing stories, win or lose (hey, can't win all the time). It's always good to hear a good story!
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Dumb mustang guy

Post by Jan Niemi »

At the strip I just happened to line up against an early 90's mustang LX, flowmasters, wide tires, K&N, you know the typical mustang mods that make mustang owners think they own the road. The last orange light up and we launched. (I'm on factory tires) He had me out of the hole pretty well. He was actually leaving me behind, but once my wheelspin subsided, and I hit third gear on full boost I started gaining on him violently and passed him at about half track and left him wondering what happened. (can you say Type-R? can you say VTEC? can you say BOOST?) Later on , I was parked trackside with my buddy's black 91 GS, and some dude's black 02 RSX S all lined up next to each other. Mustang guy comes over looking at our cars with a dumbfounded look on his face.
I overheard him saying to his bud "What makes these things so goddamn fast?" Needless to say, that put a smile on my face, and I went on to run him again, beating him even worse this time (he was running mid 14's, I was running mid to high 13's) I can't wait until next season to see how much money he spent to beat guys like me!!
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Dev
ITRCA Member

pop!!

Post by Dev »

My sophomore year of college (98) I bought a 68 mustang, and juiced it (yeah I was one of them:( it had soooo much horsepower. There is a perfect two mile strip of backroad right outside the university where anyone could race. One night I squared against a 97 or 98 ITR, didn't really know at the time. I was being a complete monkey, revving and chirping, and he just sat and waited for the light to turn. As soon as it went green I dropped the clutch and POP!! broke my unijionts and dropped my shaft.

It was f-in embarasing :oops: But the coolest part was the ITR ran the full quarter before coming back around, and he was fast...Now that I look back at it, I was one of those kids that I laugh at when I see them giving the R dirty looks.

There is no better way to learn a lesson than thru failure
Dev
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Dev

Post by Jan Niemi »

I really like your quote, I live by it with one exception, learn through other people's failures if possible, although nothing beats a good old failure done on your own for learning a lesson
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

Learn through everyone's mistakes, how's that?

Anyway, here's an embarrassing story for you. I just got my ITR 2 weeks prior, and was going to race my friend's slightly modified Civic Si. Unfortunately, I didn't know about no VTEC on a cold motor (and bad for ur car). i ran him cold motor, and stayed with him all the way up to 3rd gear. Around 4th, he started pulling...just a little. Anyway, he won. If I ran him now, with what I know, he wouldn't stand a chance...but he won't run me again :cry: .

Here's a bragging story for you. Celica GT-S, black, at the street races in the city of Brea. Supposodly faster than Type-R's. He was running an Injen intake, GReddy (4-1) Header, and A'pexi Exhaust. I was still bone stock. He got a better launch than I did, because I kinda blanked out for some reason...oh well. I caught him by the end of first gear. Pulled even with him in 2nd and 3rd...neither of us was pulling on eachother. Then 4th gear came around and I inched passed him. It was cool because it's just that feeling where you're slowly pulling on them, and you know they're trying, but can't do anything about it.

Stupid Story: My friend tried to race me with his Honda Odyssey. Needless to say, I burned the hell out of him. It must have looked like that scene from Back to the Future (pick up all three of them tomorrow!). Later on, he was like...damn, ur s#it is fast. lolx.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

learn through other people's mistakes.

Post by Jan Niemi »

What do you mean... How's that?
How that is, is very simple. If you watch someone burn their hand on a hot pipe, do you really have to burn your's to know that was hot? If your buddy runs into a tree, do you have to run into a tree to learn that it's no fun? Etc...etc....etc....anotherwords, learn through other people's mistakes, it's a lot cheaper.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

yeah, i see your point...
New Story
Racing a Civic down the freeway

*************EDITED BY DESIGN COORDINATOR OF ITRCA - LEARN FROM OTHERS MISTAKES AND PLEASE DO NOT STREET RACE.**************

never seen anyone so intimidated by a Type-R before...
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

true sh-t

Post by Sick TR »

this is true sh-t and I like it because everytime that people wants to race the integras they always look-down, making sure that there is no Type R logo.
swtxaznrac3r
ITRCA Member

Post by swtxaznrac3r »

I agree. I just got my ITR less than a week ago. I usually take it out at night because there is no traffic and less cops. Anyway, last nite i was about to enter an expressway. A civic comes up behind me and then comes over to my side. He looks at me and I look at him. He then looks back, towards the Type R logo. He shook his head, saying nevermind I assumed. I just started laughing and sped away slowly. I was actually quite happy. I can barely use the car. I woulda lost the race easily. Type R = GOD.

ITR 703
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

type r

Post by Jan Niemi »

That's a good thing. The R logo just weeds out the idiots. Around here, it's all mustangs and camaros, they are clueless on the R. That's what makes spanking these mutants so rewarding.
ActiveAero
New ITRCA Member

Post by ActiveAero »

Since I think all of these stories should be tracked based here are a few of mine.

At the track one night and when I heard some kid about my age bragging about how he was probably the fastest car out there and he was stock. Some gay little car club was having a little meet and he thought he was Mr. Bad Ace because he was driving an LT1 Camaro and was smoking the 16-17sec rice mobiles. Well he kept talking and I knew my R was up to the task of taking on a close to stock LT1 so I offered up the challenge and told him to line up against me. He first declined after I told him it was an Integra with only 173whp. He thought it would be wasting his time since in his own words "man I ain't gonna race you, my car puts down 330hp on the dyno". I coaxed him into it a little more and to make things even better one of his little hoes came up to me with " he's going to smoke you because its a V-8". A crowd of his friends and random stunnaz gathered around to see what they thought was going to be a slaughter. I blasted a few high 13 second passes to his two 14.3's and was trapping almost 5mph higher. Afterwards I was informed that the only reason I won was because I'm lighter. :roll:

Same track I was approached by a dude wanting to me to race his buddy in a supercharged GSR. The GSR owner was kinda the king of the local rice club and had a major attitude problem with me. He also bought the car already modded and had no clue about what it took to take care of such a vehicle. I told him "yeah if we get a chance to line up I'll run him no big deal". The dude replied "ah you scared, line up against him and lets see". We raced a total of 4 times......I won every time. Then at one of the following events he asked me to drive his car and after my 2nd run behind the wheel I beat his personal best of the summer.

Super rainy auto-x event got all of the WRX drivers in my class (STX) pretty excited (no smack talking or anything all of the guys are real cool). After finally getting a run togther in which I didn't end up sliding through the gates backwards they began to realize that AWD isn't everything even in the rain. I beat 4 out of 5 WRX's and placed 2nd and possibly hurt a few feelings in the process. :wink:
2001 ITR
13.737@100.4mph
Auto-X ownz my tires.
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

That's what the ITR lives for, proving other machines wrong. Other cars may have more horsepower, but in the end the Acceleration, handling and a host of other great tweaks put cars pride to shame! :twisted:

In other news, I was recently at the Auto show in Minnesotsa and I asked the Acura dealers if the ITR will be coming again? they said yes in 17 months. Have you guys heard anything to further confirm? I've been getting the run around.

Speed junkie 101
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

The problem with being at the "drag-strip" is the Type-R kind of has a Hype-R reputation. Anyone else feel me on that? Some kid thought that Type-R's come stock 6 speed manual transmission, with a (get this) Turbo built Spoon motor :roll: .
Anyway, I've seen a lot of Type-R's get spanked at the drag strip. Keep in mind, the Type-R was never meant to be a "drag-car." If you try racing (even a Civic Si) on the freeway, starting the run at 60~70 MPH, you don't pull by much. The Si also feels (I said feels) like it has more torque (probably because it's lighter, and lowr to the ground).
Although, not the best example (I had a car full of people, and this Civic EX was just with the driver, and slightly modified), we raced on the freeway, starting at about 80 MPH. Neither one of really pulled on eachother. (Like I said, not the best example, because I had a car-full, and he didn't). We got up to 5th gear, at 136~140 MPH. At this point, I was kind of pissed, because I wasn't really pulling. I resorted to extreme cheapness, and "fanned the clutch" in the 6800~7600 RPM range once or twice. It was kind of funny, because the look on his face when I just kept "jumping" forward.

"Fanning the Clutch" (known on the street as Double Clutching (yeah, probably because of that gay @$$ movie) - Hitting ur clutch in while leaving ur gas pressed down (to stay in VTEC longer) and make your RPM jump to a higher RPM. Slightly harder pull. Try it, you'll notice it. Just make sure you don't hold the clutch...pop that s#it in, and let it up.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

The ITR is a track car and that is what it is designed for. With me knowing this, I proceeded to build it as a track car, enhancing what the Honda Gods have put down. Personally I'm not a fan of the strip so I don't see why you would degrade it just to drag. Besides ain't nothing sweeter than racing on the highway at high speeds and seeing your competition slow down drastically to enter a corner while you speed by, pushing the accelerator harder. :twisted:

speed junkie 101
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

pUrExTc wrote:"Fanning the Clutch" (known on the street as Double Clutching (yeah, probably because of that gay @$$ movie) - Hitting ur clutch in while leaving ur gas pressed down (to stay in VTEC longer) and make your RPM jump to a higher RPM. Slightly harder pull. Try it, you'll notice it. Just make sure you don't hold the clutch...pop that s#it in, and let it up.
This is retarded and does not make you go any faster.

Rather a "gain" is noticed because of the loss of acceleration created when pushing the clutch in.

Also, let me make it clear that:

Street racing is not condoned or tolerated on this site.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

I was under the impression that double clutching was a downshifting technique used in non-synchro transmissions for the purpose of matching the rotational speed of the transmission gears with the rotational speed of the engine, thus preventing a horrible grinding noise upon shift engagement.
And yes, *thumbs down* to street racing, take your stuff to the track fellas. 140 on any public road? That's just stupid. Should I post the vid of the idiots in France: decided to try something like that, wound up getting airborn, completely lost it, car went off the road, in the air again, landed REEEEEALLY hard, both occupants *DEAD*. Or maybe the story of the fool who was street racing in Philly in an S2000, lost control, broke his car in half on a telephone pole, was thrown from the car with his girlfriend, both dead. I enjoy going fast as much as the next guy, but do it responsibly and at the right place: THE TRACK
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

I understand your keep it on the track post, but everyone has started from the ground up. Maybe not for everyone, but I'm sure you have street raced before? it's just sharing your stories. plus your stories of those accidents in France are crazy. And post those videos, maye i'll send'em to RealTV :twisted:

Keep it on the track or your scrap...Buddy!
moose6x3
New ITRCA Member

Post by moose6x3 »

what he said^^^
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

I can understand starting out street racing, and I suppose the majority of beginning enthusiasts do it, but no, I've never done it. I guess if you're talking about something you used to do here, that's one thing, but I know for all the noobs just getting their R when they're 18 or something, not a good thing to encourage.
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

Kangbateh wrote:I understand your keep it on the track post, but everyone has started from the ground up. Maybe not for everyone, but I'm sure you have street raced before? it's just sharing your stories.
Here is how it works around here:

Street racing is not condoned or tolerated on this site.

Regardless of whether you do or do not street race, this is not the place to make ANY mention of it.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetod ... MXk1NDE%3D

That should do it. There was a news article with it, but that's long since gone. This is the one with the fools in France.
swtxaznrac3r
ITRCA Member

Post by swtxaznrac3r »

post the one about the idiot in the s2000. i'm from philly and i heard about that accident. it some dumb young kid who thought he could drive. thanks sscguy!!!

NT
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

Have you followers of the Honda Challenge noticed how very often Corey Jacobs makes it to Turn One well ahead of higher horsepower cars?

LOL...

Corey cut his teeth in his teenage years at a 1/8 mile drag strip out in the woods in Culpeper.

In consequence of this, he's just a better drag racer, and since Honda Challenge is standing start, he usually begins the race a leg up on any competition.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

The S2000 one wasn't a video, it was an article on a news site, and I made a mistake, apparently one of them actually lived...
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/121802 ... grace.html

By the way George, what are you talking about? Did you post on the wrong thread? I know you're old, but I didn't think you were getting senile yet... :wink: j/k
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

Just thought it was an interesting tidbit for all those people who can't make it to Turn One before Corey.

:P