high whinny noise

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

high whinny noise

Post by chue f lee »

I was driving home saturday messing around. I was redlining my car in 3rd gear when I shift to 4th my rpm went to like 9500pm. So I guess I missed the shift to 4th. Now It seems everytime I press on the gas I get this little whinny noise coming from my car. Is their something wrong with the transmission? I can't hear noise unless I press on the gas lightly?
nos86
New ITRCA Member

Post by nos86 »

damn that sucks man. hope someone sheds some light
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

95000 rpm ?
Are you sure you did not pop your motor, nevermind the trans?
swed
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

No cause If trans is not engage and I rev engine on nuetral it sounds perfect. But once trans is engage and i press on gas i can hear this little whinny sound.
SerGTR
ITRCA Member

Post by SerGTR »

for some reason I use to always think that rev limiter is a safety device that suppose to prevent damage to engine caused by misshifting, is this is not true...? :roll:
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

It seems to be making the noise in 4th and 5th gear only? Could it be the syncros?
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

well i someone on hondatech told me they had the same problem. He said his final drive was craked. I just put my jdm FD in.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

SerGTR wrote:for some reason I use to always think that rev limiter is a safety device that suppose to prevent damage to engine caused by misshifting, is this is not true...? :roll:
This is true on Rev's in the same gear, however it cannot prevent a mechanical over rev.

Basically what I'm saying is if your in 1st gear and rev the piss out of it, eventually it will bounch off of the rev limiter and not go any further, however if your in 3rd at redline and go to 2nd instead of 4th, given the speed and gearing, nothing electronic can stop the RPM's from going way UP.

As for the trans... if it's a whining noise I would venture to guess a bearing took the brunt of it. Probably the input shaft bearing, but crack it open to be sure.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

hate to sound so down about your issue....but I did the SAME thing with the SAME high whiny sound and my tranny only lasted another 11 months. When they took it apart I had literally warped the casing and chunks of metal were in there.

Not saying you have the same thing, but sounds like it. If I were you I'd do 1 of 2 things. Drive it till it blows and start saving in the mean time.

Or stop driving immediately, drop the tranny, crack it open and check it out. If it is the input shaft you could get it fixed pretty cheap
Fully stock R!
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Stop driving it and get it fixed now, it'll be much cheaper now than later.

Drop the tranny and start inspecting, or have a shop do it. Check the motor too..
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

I'm not driving it anymore. I'm taking it to king motorsports tuesday.
They can't do it earlier because they just moved to a new location.
I can only hear the whinny sound when I press on the gas lightly.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

chue f lee wrote:I'm not driving it anymore. I'm taking it to king motorsports tuesday...
Good choices.

best of luck!
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Well kingmotorsports finally got my transmission out. They said a couple of bearins were shot.
They said it would cout 300 for all new ones. plus about 400 for labor and extras.
I was wondering if i should put in carbon coated synchros?now while trans is out.
They said it would cost about 275 for the carbon coated synchros and anouther 200 for laber. Is this worth it? Would putting the new synchros in now be more cost effective now then later?
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

I have those syncros from gearspeed...
they do look beefier and the coating does look pretty cool, but I honestly am not sure if it made a difference. I went with them because it was cheaper then OE syncros and I was able to get them faster.

Willard, do you recall any thing else more specific about them? ( Will was the man who installed them in my trans.)
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Well Kingmotorsports changed the bearings, and when they put the transmission back in its still was making the noise? The tech there said I had the cleanest transmission he has ever seen. He said he didn't see anything major. The bearing were a little scratched and one was not spinning smoothly. Well they said they would open the trans again and look more closely at the gears? I will call them tommorow and see if they found the problem? What could be the probelm?8P
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

I have this exact same problem as described. I think it happened when I mis shifted from 3rd to 4th...instead of 4th i hit 2nd...hence the over revving. But I have been driving on this noise for awhile now (~12mths). Please keep us updated.
Thanks
I couldn't fix ur brakes, so i made ur horn louder
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

take trust in King, they have an inpeckable reputation.
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Well they took the trans apart again and I couldn't see anything wrong with it? Every gear is perfect? You can't visually see anything bad? They had a GR-R tranny laying around so they put it in to make sure it was the tranny. With the GS_R tranny in my car, the noise goes away.
So the problem is the tranny, but it looks perfect. They said they were going to look at the shafts more close to see it there are any damages or warpage. ?
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

this is problem is getting annoying.....

but just to shed some more light on the actually problem....not sure if its the same with your case....but with mine....

this whinning noise occurs in all gears and all levels of rpm...I think we just predominately hear this noise when were cruising (usually lightly pressing the gas) in 4th and 5th at a relatively low speed (50-80km or 1000-4000rpm). After this range the engine just drowns it out.

Many have told me that it was main shaft bearing. Usually if its this bearing the noise would get alot louder within the first few months. Surprisingly the sound stayed quite consistent for the past year for me. And my other mechanic said the same thing as King, some odd bearings are prolly shot (but this seems wrong too).

Just to add. I've changed my clutch during the period of this noise. Replacing the throw out bearing and pilot. Noise was still there :roll:

Also. I noticed this noise also happens when I'm playing with the transmission while i'm driving and just slowly put it into gear. Right before the shifter is placed into gear (the 'gate' of each gear i guess) i hear this noise again. Could that part of the transmission be causing that noise?
ITR 1102 / MOVE OVER
Midwest Director

Post by ITR 1102 / MOVE OVER »

What kind of clutch did you have in there, and what did you replace it with?

My clutch is whiney / noisy (Action 6 Puck Stage 2MD Unsprung).
Low Pro
New ITRCA Member

Post by Low Pro »

I have the same problem with my transmission. I replaced all my bearings and it still does it. But my tranny only makes noise in 4th and 5th when decelerating @ 3-5k rpm.
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

ITR 1102 / MOVE OVER: I had a SRR 6 puck unsprung clutch...took it down a notch with a exedy stage 1. Spoon flywheel for both clutches.
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Well guys king motorsports say they did all they could and just by looking at it they are not going to be able to tell whats wrong with it.
But by swapping out parts and rechecking for transmission noise its gonna cost probably more than just buying a new transmission.
I was wondering if I should just get a gearspeed transmission? Will cost just a little more and it should be a little more bulletproof? Anyone have any experience with thier transmission? Thanks for any help.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

A theory and friend I have with our transmissions is the heavier clutch setups that are available for us seem to have more shock going into the unit causing damages.
Once that sound appears it's a bunch of small all very related items.
I know this is not much help but just had to toss out (publicly) my theory.

As for the gearspeed transmission, I'd get one just for the shiny case :P I would like to hear some testimony from users...

sorry King could not help, best of luck getting this resolved.
I'll be keeping an eye on this for future info ;)
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

how much would a JDM 98 spec transmission cost anywayz?? and where??