stolen car...odometer bumped up 40k miles

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
kensan
New ITRCA Member

stolen car...odometer bumped up 40k miles

Post by kensan »

Hey guys,

My ITR was stolen and I'm trying to get the most $ I can from insurance for it.

When they recovered the shell (no engine, rims, interior, seats), there was still an odometer and it read 93,000, when my car really had only 55k.

The adjuster was just asking in a friendly tone, why would the thieves have bothered to mess with the odo.

I could take a trip out there to perform forensics (about 1.5 hour drive with chicago traffic and snow), or...can anyone think of plausible reasons that would save me a trip? If need be I WILL go out there...from the pics (unfortunately the picture is too far away to see the entire instrument cluster) all I can see are the odo digits.

Thanks!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Simple solution,, I think.

Have you had any recent work done on the car that the place recorded your mileage? if it was shortly before it was stolen, no problem. Another thing is to check to make sure it's your Odo in there, they might have put a diff one in, cause the R model has the fancy CF and worth more then others.

good luck!
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Bbasso wrote:Simple solution,, I think.

Have you had any recent work done on the car that the place recorded your mileage? if it was shortly before it was stolen, no problem. Another thing is to check to make sure it's your Odo in there, they might have put a diff one in, cause the R model has the fancy CF and worth more then others.

good luck!
Yep, oil changes or any other maintenance? If it's been in the stealership lately, it's usually on the invoice.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
Low Pro
New ITRCA Member

Post by Low Pro »

How do you know if its your original cluster in there? Did you ask him what the red line was?

Just some questions to ask....But if I was a thief I wouldnt bother putting in a different cluster....
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

How strange. :?
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Post by Doespike »

Sorry to hear this. Good luck with the aftermath.

What was heR year/color/ badge #?
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Yea weird it is...I'd take the trip to see whats left of my baby anyway if it were me.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
kensan
New ITRCA Member

Post by kensan »

I did see it when it was in the lot within city limits. It's since been towed to the burbs by Allstate.

I looked inside and noticed that most everything was stripped. I didn't think they would dispute the mileage, or even think that the odometer would read what it read. Or that insurance would even question it. Or charge me -500 devaluation for the ripped up seat, when that wasn't even the original integra seat remaining. And I don't know why the thieves swapped out the seat.

Anyway, lots of weird things happened with this theft.

I do have 1 oil change receipt from Jiffy Lube (my dad got an oil change) and I have records when I changed the oil the rest of the time. It's just the insurance adjusted wanted "more proof" than jiffy lube and my handwritten notebook.

I was hoping someone new something technical about odometers and type r's so I could explain to the adjuster.

Thanks for the sympathy guys!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

So your 'proof' is not good enough...
Nothing elses like a state inspection?

I suggest pictures for us to help you better with the incorrect items, it's very hard to determine anything w/o seeing.

One thing about the cluster, does it have a part number on the back? reason is the ITR has it's own because of the higher redline then all other integra(s).
As for the seats, same reason- seats are ITR specific.

Worst case senario, hire your own inspector and let them evaluate the car. Hopefully they will see what's what and do the right thang.
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Re: stolen car...odometer bumped up 40k miles

Post by Beasty18C5 »

Not sure if its same in usa but when you purchase a plate sticker here in canada we also do an e-test every other year and the milage is recorded then and that would be more then enough for proof since the documents and sticker fees are for the government and its their documentation, get a printout of the last couple of years if this applies to you this way it shows how many miles you put roughly a year
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
NEVENCE7
New ITRCA Member

Re:

Post by NEVENCE7 »

Dave_B wrote:
Bbasso wrote:Simple solution,, I think.

good luck!
Yep, oil changes or any other maintenance? If it's been in the stealership lately, it's usually on the invoice.
stealership x2
DESIGN : JAPANESE