Hey guys, new to itr motor! Hows it goin

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
itrekcivic
New ITRCA Member

Hey guys, new to itr motor! Hows it goin

Post by itrekcivic »

So yea im new to the b18c5. Just bought a civic with the swap. So i figured where else could i learn than here so whats up. I have alot to learn so ill start with a few questions. What is good to change on this motor. Ive heard and read that its basically perfection as it is. But i would like some headers and from what i can tell the general choice on here is hytech? Where do you get that. Any other info would be greatly appreciated
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Re: Hey guys, new to itr motor! Hows it goin

Post by Bbasso »

For a header, Hytech, SMSP or Toda for the big three. But a very affordable and one that works very well,,, look up the OEM JDM 4-1 header.

I have mine for years and the best part, it looks bone stock with the factory heat shield installed.
Letting our motors breathe is one of the best things you can do.
Mugen or AEM CAI are the top two intakes although Mugen is way more exspenive.

I don't have a cat-converter and a very smooth (yet loud) 2.36 inch exhaust, slightly bigger then stock but w/o any bottle necks or flow restrictions. There is gains from something cheap, I'm proof :P
swed
itrekcivic
New ITRCA Member

Post by itrekcivic »

cool thank you for the info. But i dont know about the cai. I live in southwest louisiana where it rains and floods alot. Where is the best place to look for headers?
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Check out the ITR Expo sponsers for great deals.
Just about 80,000 miles on my R with the AEM CAI, no problems resulting from it. Just use your head when it rains.
swed
itrekcivic
New ITRCA Member

Post by itrekcivic »

i hear you bout the rain. So what do i need to check/look for with the motor? if anything...
itrekcivic
New ITRCA Member

Post by itrekcivic »

Another quick question for research purposes...who sells the top rated supercharger for the itr?
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Header... I run SMSP on both of mine

Intake... Mugen on both

Agreed that you need to let the motor "breathe" better.

As for SC options, I would stop right there and do some research. Most with the JRSC setup have heat issues and/or reliability issues (not SC related, but everything around it)
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
itrekcivic
New ITRCA Member

Post by itrekcivic »

ok what about the msd parts (distributor, coil, complete ignition box) do these help the itr? What about ud pulley kits?
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

leave the stock Ing setup, works great.
Pulleys, not worth much...

ECU to tune with, there is power gains if the Tuner knows what he is doing- but don't expect 20+
Unless you open the motor and put parts in there is only so much you can extract from it.
swed
itrekcivic
New ITRCA Member

Post by itrekcivic »

So basically just leave everything aloe with the exception of a cai and possibly headers? What about cams? And an intake manifold?
SamTEC
New ITRCA Member

Post by SamTEC »

I suggest you worry about getting all the bolt-ons first(header, exhaust), and do research on internals(cams and such). Go one step at a time and see how it fits into your budget, I hear NA build is very expensive. If you have not read this yet it might help! GL bro

http://itrca.com/FAQ/performance/mods.php
Driven by passion.