I possibly bought a lemon...

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dave_B

Re: I possibly bought a lemon...

Post by Dave_B »

sneakerheathen wrote:My mistake actually redlines at 9000 even...

Don't know if the valvetrains had any work done to them...

The motor itself has had some work done to it...

Headers
Intake
Exhaust
Fuel Rail
Cams
Hondata S100 OBD2 to OBD1 stepdown conversion (IDK why they did this as opposed to the stock Type-R ecu)

Would the stock computer make a difference? Any idea why they do the stepdown?

Thanks for the help fellas...
Appreciated.
Given what you have said, and the pics above, I'm leaning towards a JDM ITR engine. The tach is never "dead on" in these cars, so if it's close to 9k, it's not a GS-R motor (or via the tuning it has been raised)

OBD1 is more "suseptable (SP)" to tuning, and really is the way it goes when it comes to Hondata, Chrome and most of the tuning software out there.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
sneakerheathen
New ITRCA Member

Post by sneakerheathen »

Well as far as the OBDII to OBDI conversion goes I recently read an article in the DEC Import Tuner on the top 10 best engines and the b18c1 was in there and they had mention that the OBDI is more responsive to upgrades like i/h/e then the OBDII...I dont know if that applies to the b18c5 though but that might be why he chose to do that.[/quote]

Alright I'm going to have to look into that.

I'll take some more detailed pics soon.

Definately clarified somethings for me fellas, appreciated.
sneakerheathen
New ITRCA Member

Post by sneakerheathen »

Okay so I've been a bit busy...

But without further ado, the pics...

I have more pics if needed...So is this indeed a JDM type-r motor?
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

There is so much going on here its hard to really discern. The car has definitely been modded(obviously) by looking at the PS removal kit, lack of power steering, lack of timing overs, and iffy wires in the engine bay.

I would start by purchasing the timing covers. I personally do not recommend driving around with those pieces exposed to the elements. If a rock etc flew in there you could be in a world of trouble. From the pictures we can also see that your valve cover gasket is leaking. You can purchase an upper gasket kit that includes this piece along with other grommets for the spark plugs etc for ~$30. The Part Number is:12030-P73-000

The transmission looks painted. You may need to run it through the gears taking not of landing points. IE Shift at redline and take note at where the tach lands when you engage the next gear. You can do this for the first three gears, no need to do that on the remaining two. That may help on give us some info on the gearing in the tranny, but if it has had a Final Drive upgrade these landpoints will be affected so even that isn't a sure bet. To be sure, you would have to crack the case and count the teeth on the individual gears and Final Drive.

As for the bottom end, as Rob(Bbasso) said the only sure fire way to know is to crack the thing open. You can do a full leakdown compression test. From those numbers we may be able to tell you whether it is a GS-R(SIR-G) or an ITR bottom end.

Best of luck
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

That trans case looks suspect. I don't see the holes for the VIN plate and the area where it would usually mount to is different then all those I have seen before.
swed
Trev-R
New ITRCA Member

Post by Trev-R »

Well not sure if this helps, would need info from other JDM B18C owners but mine came with a factory chrome oil cap. Did some come with it and some with out it becuase if thats the case then that could give it away.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

The oil cap can easily be added/removed, so I wouldn't consider it a reliable way to confirm the engine.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Markusirealius01
ITRCA Member

Post by Markusirealius01 »

I am with Bbasso on this one. Trans case looks mighty IFFY. I have seen a lot of these cars, and judging by the condition of the engine bay and the rest of the motor it looks like the trans has been in a tumbler, painted, or cooked. You need to look into that.
www.jsracing-net.com
www.typeoneracing.com
J's Racing, T1R, Feel's, and Spoon Authorized Distributor.
sneakerheathen
New ITRCA Member

Post by sneakerheathen »

Im in AZ right now....

Next time I'm back home in NY (where my car is at) would anyone be able to come take a closer look at the car?

Possibly open the bottom end and take a look at it?
sneakerheathen
New ITRCA Member

Post by sneakerheathen »

Also...

Do you think it'd be worth it to go ahead and just get a swap for another b18c5? Or....

Perhaps a K20a???

BTW, this car was at the brooklyn itrca meet sometime back...it was the one with the LS rims and no type-r wing....

So someone here has to know Mike (the previous owner), anyone know him to be a shady dude? I pretty much had to force him to give me the papers to the labor done to the vehicle....Kind of regret purchasing this car in haste. I love type-rs but if this motor isnt what its supposed to be i'm going to be very pissed....

I know the shell (minus the rear hatch) and the interior is a genuine type-r, also the carfax came back confirming that the car is indeed a type-r...

Would there be anyway there could be foul play on the carfax?
Last edited by sneakerheathen on January 13th, 2009, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

You want someone to come by and open the motor???
First that would not be cheap.
Second, I would only trust someone I know to do that.
Third, Just rebuild the motor if it's being taken apart.

Replacing the motor is silly to me unless there is something that can't be fixed.
swed
sneakerheathen
New ITRCA Member

Post by sneakerheathen »

Well I'd be willing to pay to open it up...

Also if it were an ITRCA OG (someone whom is renowned and trusted in this community) then I'd be able to trust him or her.

And lastly someone whom can take a look at it could give me some advice as to where to restart if i'd go the rebuild route.
sneakerheathen
New ITRCA Member

Post by sneakerheathen »

Judging by the pics where would I need to start if I wanted to rebuild? I have more pics if needed...
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

sneakerheathen wrote:Judging by the pics where would I need to start if I wanted to rebuild? I have more pics if needed...
Detemine these: Budget & what you want out of the motor. that is where you have to start.
swed
sneakerheathen
New ITRCA Member

Post by sneakerheathen »

Well I have a pretty steady income, so I can accomodate a sufficient budget for a good job.

I want a strong running motor, I'd like to squeeze as much power as possible while going all motor (naturally aspirated). I want a that is well balanced through the gears...

And above all I want a driveable car w/o sacrificing power....
sneakerheathen
New ITRCA Member

Post by sneakerheathen »

To be more specific I can swing a budget anywhere from 4k to upwards 9k, not at the VERY moment. But within a few months I'll be able to do it.

Rome wasn't built in a day so I'm not expecting for any work to get started nor done soon...It'll be a while and prolly not until early to mid summer before it goes into the shop...

Also....Anybody know of anyone whom does motor fabrications/motor work, installation, tuning etc in NY or AZ. I know of a couple places in NY but I'm really looking for some places that ITRCA members have had positive experiences with.

I'd really like to either confirm that either this is truly a JDM B18c or I'd like to get one. I'm willing to do w/e it takes to attain what this car is meant to be, and make it even better.
Mr.x
New ITRCA Member

Post by Mr.x »

Because you now know it's not the original engine in the car, why do you want to swap it out for a b18c5? Why not just dyno the car, measure the hp and torque, check to see if your power band is good on the graph and that it is typical or relatively similar to that of a type R and keep it at that? If I had a type R that produced power like a b16, I would be upset. But if you make power like a type R just leave it at that and save your money. Just my 2 cents.
Redcoupe
New ITRCA Member

Post by Redcoupe »

Mr.x wrote:Because you now know it's not the original engine in the car, why do you want to swap it out for a b18c5? Why not just dyno the car, measure the hp and torque, check to see if your power band is good on the graph and that it is typical or relatively similar to that of a type R and keep it at that? If I had a type R that produced power like a b16, I would be upset. But if you make power like a type R just leave it at that and save your money. Just my 2 cents.
I agree.
If I was closer, I could easily tell you what motor it was.

Maybe you can talk to someone who has this tool. Take out spark plugs, it's a snap on camera that has a LED light on the end. You could see what pistons were in it.
Then, you could take the oil pan off and look at the rods, bigger rod bolts = ITR rod.

Does the block have a oil-cooler off it?

I didn't pay attention to what year you said the head was, is it 97+?

As for the transmission. My ITR trans is a mixture of A) 99-00 Civic Si casing I got from work B)JDM Spec 96 R outter case. C) 97spec ITR gears with a Kaaz LSD. Don't be so quick to judge it.

Why not call NRG-Tech and ask Miller about the car. He's a VERY standup guy and is VERY knowledgeable. So if he tuned your car, bet it's spot on and legit.