Security Question

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Demetree
New ITRCA Member

Security Question

Post by Demetree »

Hi,

I have just picked up my first ITR. It's a 2000 PY. It's got a lot of kilometres on it, but it runs great, and I'm very glad to have picked it up.

I'd like to keep it for many years, and unfortunately, my garage has another project car in it that is immobile at present.

I'm not particularly concerned about theft in my neighbourhood, but I welcome any suggestions to help ensure that the car remains in my possession. Long term, I'll feel better with it in the garage, but it's not an option yet.

Today it has an aftermarket alarm system, and a removable steering wheel.

Cheers,

Demetree
Dave_B

Re: Security Question

Post by Dave_B »

Demetree, the thing with security is layers. The more layers, the longer it takes, the more time you have to intervene.

Alarm with GPS with a "security fence"
Kill switches
Relocated hood latch cable

These are just some layers that you can apply. How long until you can get the car in the garage? Possible to push the other one out?
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
Demetree
New ITRCA Member

Post by Demetree »

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look into kill switch locations, and maybe a better alarm.

The other car needs body work finishing and reassembly, as it's a shell on jackstands at present. Hopefully it'll be movable in a few months.

Demetree
HoRizon ChaSer
New ITRCA Member

Post by HoRizon ChaSer »

i know that most of itr thieves are not from the neighbors around you. if you own an itr, just remember never trust anybody. even your friends' friends. "the thing with security is layers", you got that right, Dave. alarms and release steering wheel don't usually work these days, because some thieves will come with a town truck. make sure your car is hard to get like Dave said. i usually block mine with two cars or trucks 24/7. good luck and keep it safe.