Air Horns Install???

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
fbp2k_itR
New ITRCA Member

Air Horns Install???

Post by fbp2k_itR »

I just bought some duel tone Hellas and was trying to install them today. I mounted everything and ran the horn wire to the air compressor, but to no avail. I grounded the (-) on the compressor and all. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. I can't seem to get this to work. Isn't the wire going to the factory horn positive. It was said to be an easy install...help me, help me please! :?
2K-FBP#1018
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

I could be mistaken, but I thought there was more than one wire going to the horn???? Perhaps you might have used the wrong wire??? You also may need to use the positive and negative from the horn for it to work properly, grounding it to the compressor might not complete the circuit.

Not really sure, I'd have to see it. If you have some picks, I'll be a little more helpful.

Later,
Aj
cxSHOE
ITRCA Member

maybe this will help

Post by cxSHOE »

should be one wire to the horn,,,,,, not sure why you went the air horn way,, i would have gone the dual hella supertones (350,500hz) like on the Benz's (too much to bother with going wrong, compressor dies, gets wet, or hose gets crimped etc..)

but as far as the air horns goes there should be a positive and a negative wire to the compressor

go to this website,, and it shows a complete install on a mazda miata,, same principle...

kinda indepth but if you read it you can find out how to wire everything up...if you do a search on the net you should find other sites... type in "hella airhorn wiring instructions" hope that helps

http://miata.net/garage/horn.htm
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

One wire to the stock hors.

Super Tones are very nice. Need to wire mine up before the Expo
hopofthese
New ITRCA Member

Post by hopofthese »

I am not too familiar with this but i was looking into getting some airhorns. Can someone elaborate on what the difference is between the supertones and airhorns? and where is a good site to get the supertones?
fbp2k_itR
New ITRCA Member

Re: maybe this will help

Post by fbp2k_itR »

Yeah, you guys are right. I found that my problem turned out to be the grounding part of my install. I ran the ground from the (-)on the compressor to the earth wire on the battery and voila...it works :D I felt real stupid for wasting everyones time. I guess I started to panic and didn't know what else to do besides consulting the team. I only feel somewhat better because the "alarm" guy wanted to charge me $50 to do what I (the novice) accomplished. Anyhow, I guess that I am satisfied for now.

skylinegtr-r32: I went with the airHorns because I thought that they would give me that "truck-like" sound. It is a high pitch as it turned out. I would prefer to have it sound like the stock horns but just amplified like about 20-30 times. It should still wake thone lane-drifting sunday drivers though. :wink:
Thanks for the input, team. You guys are always helpful!
2K-FBP#1018
cxSHOE
ITRCA Member

Post by cxSHOE »

hey, fbp: i asked why only because they have a high pitch to them, that IMO kinda sounds weird on a type r.. but just my opinion.. although..but the supertones sound just a bit deeper than stock, and they have a crisp sound...but glad it worked out..

and hopo.

i got mine on sale at the time for $55.00 shipped from here: http://shop.offroadwarehouse.com/index.php?cat=163 i think they are now $75 + shipping. i would go with the supertones with (85115) as the product code that is the loudest set they make,,, they make similiar sets that are not as loud as these.. so remember the product code,, and they come with directions and relay also...i dont like the air horns only because you have to worry about the compressor over time, and the hose connection becomes yellow and then you have to find a location to put the horns in , plus the compressor, and the horns are like 5-7 inches long... while the two supertone horns are two big (about twice the oem horn) and easily mount in the same hole of the oem or you can put them on each side of your integra but remember you have to connect them to each other also. as the instructions will show below

also another place that sells them with prewired y connectors (so you can have both horns work) is here for $70+ shipping
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp? ... ella+horns

here is the wiring you will need to wire any horns on any car whether your car came with one wire or two wires..

http://www.griotsgarage.com/pdfs/77573.pdf

hope that helps...but do a search on the net to find a better price but i doubt you will find them cheaper than $60 bucks.. unless they are on sale..
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

I actually got some pretty wicked looking horns on the JDM conversion that I just got. The front end came with the whole front clip from fenders forward, and I guess the kid in japan never got the horns out of his car before he totaled it???? Any way, they're all in japanese, so I can't understand a word they say, but they're anodized blue. They look pretty trick, and I guess when I get my car back running, I'll try and hook them up and see what they sound like.

Later,
Aj
fbp2k_itR
New ITRCA Member

Post by fbp2k_itR »

skylinegtr-r32: I know that the pitch is high on my airhrns but i connected the stock ones back on now and there is a slight improvement on the pitch. I understand what you mean about the compressor and hose problems. I guess I rushed it because I needed something loud/annoying asap. I never took the time to research a thing. I should have posted here before I made any decisions, but you live and learn. I now know where to get replacements when my system fails. Thanks. Trust me, the next time I come up with some half-assed idea about what to put in my R, I will definitely get the teams opinion first.

Aj: lucky you, good find. Anodized blue...sounds kinda wicked. Hope it works out well for you.

Thanks again!
2K-FBP#1018
cxSHOE
ITRCA Member

Post by cxSHOE »

fbp2k_itR

hey i figure it could have been more costly by having that guy install it foryou?..right? hey we've all rushed into buying things for our cars,, in the past and sometimes even now... but thats what life is.

id really like to see what make of horns aj got with his front clip purchase,,,,,,,hummmm maybe he will take some pictures too.. hint hint hint...