Just one more reason not to street race.

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Just one more reason not to street race.

Post by Jan Niemi »

You are lined up at the light, rev your engine, light up the tires, and it's on - you change your mind and let off the throttle, the other guy keeps going and suddenly crashes into someone, dies, and injures the driver in the other car.

Who is liable for the accident?

You are, even though it was the other guy's car that caused the accident, you are liable for any damages for engaging in an illegal act - and the resulting felony. There is precedent in this type of case. I just learned about it in one of my law classes.

Keep it to the dragstrip.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
RedKroovy
New ITRCA Member

Re: Just one more reason not to street race.

Post by RedKroovy »

Good info. Can you give more specifics about the case I would like to read the brief of it if possible.
98 #0023
You name the vice, I'll name the price.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

I'll look it up and get back to you. I remember that it was I believe in the 60's, it involved a person taking a company car home and raced with it, the car manufacturer was also liable because their name was on the title. I'll get the specifics.
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

I've heard about a couple of cases in which the other person was held liable. I have a friend who has a 1987 Honda civic hatchback and ever since he saw the movie fast and the furious (or maybe my ITR ) he feels threatend by ever other car on the street and feels the need to "take them on" which is not cool at all. I tell him it is not necessary to prove your manhood on the street like that and people like him give us a bad name and I also tell him that whenever i'm at the line I'll rev to the speed limit and watch'em go, but he says that's you, because I got tickets or some other bullshit excuse. Well all I have to say is that if my friend acts like this, there must be countless others , which is just plain fucked up. Well I guess some things never change. :twisted:
jorge
New ITRCA Member

Post by jorge »

That stupid childish movie messed things up. It makes it "cool" to race. Someone should ban the two movies. Bad acting, ugly cars, and dangerous to dumb people. Protest!!!
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

It's still entertaining to watch. You can't blame the media, I blame the parents for raising half-witted morons.
GSRT60
suite 200

Never race on local street again!

Post by GSRT60 »

It 's true I would never step my right foot to the floor on located street ever since I had a phat ass Speeding contest ticket !!!racing with some ass hole that REV up on me ,which got me a FINE and 2 points in my records and a misdemenor charge with either 10 days in jail right on the spot or a FINE and 10 days of CalTrans that some stupid shit I have to go through when I have my last race on the street ...Never would happen again Next time a guy REV up on me at a light I would REV up and make him go for it I would just sit there with my E-Bake on .lolz hahaha it will be fun and if they ask with didn't U race me I would say "I don't wanted to race some slow ass and waste my vauble GAS. " :lol:
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

As much as we all talk about why not to Street Race...I'm sure we've all done it. So before flaming on someone for asking/talking about street racing (even if it's some punk kid, talking about the Fast and the Furious this and that), try giving them some sound advice.

Yes people, it's wrong...resist the urge!

Understandably, tracks aren't the most convenient things in the world, and I'm sure most of us gun it getting on to freeways, or just occassionally down a clear street.

It's hard for any of us to sit here and say it's wrong, when I know a lot of us probably do it as well (possibly not against someone else, but just racing "yourself").
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

Well before I advice others to keep the racing to the track, I have to admit that I use to street race all the time... Safely as possible obviously, there was this mile or so stretch out near the local coast guard air station that was wide open (prolly a good 25 yards of open roadway on either side of the road) anyhow, sooner or later I was caught...actually twice. Stupid me didn't learn the first time so about 6 months later I was out doing it again like a big ol dumbie and got caught the second time and the court system really made me pay. Overall... it's not worth it guys.. seriously, the money you pay out in fines, lawyer fees, etc is outragious... worse yet, if I ever killed another person in the act I don't think I could bare the fact that I'd have to live with that for the rest of my life... Screw's up your driving record for several years, etc... and the list goes on. Keep it to the track guys/gals...

Notice my silver sticker below my rear license plate... "RACE ON THE TRACK, NOT ON THE STREET" also the roundish sticker on my rear bumper "Whoop your competitor on the track, street racing kills"

Honostly I think everyone should put this type of sticker on their car... It gets the message across at every stop light, etc... plus everytime I think about possibly mashing on it with a racer next to me, I think of that sticker behind me. Plus if you get caught by the police, they'll know from reading that sticker that you knew better and will fuck you over royally... (which they should...street racing is dangerous!)

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
typeRated
New ITRCA Member

Post by typeRated »

e r i c s 9 9 s i wrote:Well before I advice others to keep the racing to the track, I have to admit that I use to street race all the time... Safely as possible obviously, there was this mile or so stretch out near the local coast guard air station that was wide open (prolly a good 25 yards of open roadway on either side of the road) anyhow, sooner or later I was caught...actually twice. Stupid me didn't learn the first time so about 6 months later I was out doing it again like a big ol dumbie and got caught the second time and the court system really made me pay. Overall... it's not worth it guys.. seriously, the money you pay out in fines, lawyer fees, etc is outragious... worse yet, if I ever killed another person in the act I don't think I could bare the fact that I'd have to live with that for the rest of my life... Screw's up your driving record for several years, etc... and the list goes on. Keep it to the track guys/gals...

Notice my silver sticker below my rear license plate... "RACE ON THE TRACK, NOT ON THE STREET" also the roundish sticker on my rear bumper "Whoop your competitor on the track, street racing kills"

Honostly I think everyone should put this type of sticker on their car... It gets the message across at every stop light, etc... plus everytime I think about possibly mashing on it with a racer next to me, I think of that sticker behind me. Plus if you get caught by the police, they'll know from reading that sticker that you knew better and will fuck you over royally... (which they should...street racing is dangerous!)
Eric,
where did you get the round sticker at? It's crazy how many people try to run m on th street.
Asian G
ITRCA Member

Post by Asian G »

Sorry
Last edited by Asian G on March 4th, 2004, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

typeRated wrote:
Eric,
where did you get the round sticker at? It's crazy how many people try to run m on th street.
Actually they were handing them out at the local track this last year... I'll look and see if I have another one and if I do I'll mail it to you if you.. almost positive I have another one laying around somewhere. I'll let you know.

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

sorry guys, but i still do it sometimes...i know a lot of u do too...
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

the point

Post by Jan Niemi »

Apologize to yourself, the point of this thread was to make people realize that even though you think it's harmless, if the other guy kills someone, you are liable as well, even if your car never touched anyone...not to mention financial liability... :(
jiahanhao
New ITRCA Member

Post by jiahanhao »

Sounds like someone who got hit was a very litigious bastard. Don't get me wrong, I think street racing is stupid and dangerous (not to say I've never done it, but we learn from the past), but the fact that someone who is not even responsible for an accident may be liable makes me very uneasy. It seems to me that the person who filed suit (or charges) was just looking for a bigger score (the company who owned the car...). America has become a very sad place indeed, where people who burn themselves with (gasp) HOT coffee can sue for millions and win. I think it's time we re-evaluated the whole tort system...
2001 Nighthawk Black ITR
2000 Electron Blue Civic Si
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

responsibility

Post by Jan Niemi »

If you have two people street racing, both people are responsible for the outcome. I know it may not seem fair to you, but those are the rules when you decide to use the public streets as your personal drag strip.

You can equate it to being an accessory to murder. You have two people robbing a house, one shoots someone, the other is responsible because it happened while they were both committing an illegal act in concert.

The point of this thread is that if you don't have enough common sense to not street race, then maybe knowing the law will put some sense into you before someone gets killed.

Here in Detroit, just about a year, or two ago, a mother and her kid were killed by a streetracer who lost it (he was running a 10 second Mustang on the street at 140mph +)

But still the street races go on here every Saturday at 1a.m...... :roll: