Any suggestions on reducing oversteer?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Any suggestions on reducing oversteer?

Post by kabob »

Every AutoX it seems like my rear end is more loose than a French whore in Paris when the Nazis rolled through. I'd rather not mess with my sway bars but if that's what it takes, I might consider it. On race day I run with Euro ITR Enkeis with 205/50/15 Falken Azenis.. would tire pressure adjustments help out enough?
BLKITR
New ITRCA Member

Re: Any suggestions on reducing oversteer?

Post by BLKITR »

kabob wrote:Every AutoX it seems like my rear end is more loose than a French whore in Paris when the Nazis rolled through.
ROFLMAO

Hey Kabob, I don't have an answer for you, but when I read that line I about lost it. That was too funny. :lol:
2000 ITR #413 Black
AEM CAI \ DC 4-1 header
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

What tire pressures are you running when you autox?
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Well, in the past I've run 40 psi front and 38 in the back but more probably due to my utter lack of skills, the car was drifting sideways around turns. Last week, I just left the pressure alone after they'd been sitting on my balcony for about a month and the grip was fine but the oversteer more than a little squirrely. Dorky me only checked the front tires at the time and they were at 33 psi.

I 'spose I could just improve what I laughably call my version of performance driving :lol:
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

step on the gas pedal :)
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

dawhiteboy wrote:step on the gas pedal :)
If you want less oversteer, get on the gas and take air out of the rear tires if you are really loose like that french whore you so eloquently described. =)

You are supposed to flat foot every autox course anyways!! :P
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

It's almost unimaginable to me that you could have too much oversteer autocrossing. In stock form on Azenis I can hardly get the car to rotate. Even the modded cars with significantly higher spring rates in rear + Mugen rear sway bars don't swap ends on pressures like yours. They actually take camber out of the rear (from lowering) to get the car to turn more.

It might be worth asking what your suspension set up is? Shocks, spring rates, sway bars how much camber you're running...etc. That may help answer this question.
Chris N wrote:
dawhiteboy wrote:step on the gas pedal :)
If you want less oversteer, get on the gas and take air out of the rear tires if you are really loose like that french whore you so eloquently described. =)

You are supposed to flat foot every autox course anyways!! :P
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Maybe it's a matter of too much gravel on the course as well.. I'm on stock suspension, btw. I won't be changing a thing until stuff starts breaking or next AutoX season, whichever comes first.

I'm learning to keep on the gas 90% of the time on the course but I still stay off on the hairpin turns since I haven't perfected left-foot braking, yet. I'm left-footed so it's an excercise in VERY abrupt stops right now :oops:

I dunno about difficult to rotate. I've completely spun the car twice on the Azenis and finally learned to stomp on the gas and pull the car through a sweet 4-wheel drift the last time I lost the rear end :D
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

I dunno, but I have the stock suspension + 23mm rear sway, and when i pump up the rear tire pressures on my azenis, holy wow. Crazy oversteer when I lift.

At the track, I run almost 10 less psi than the fronts to make the oversteer more 'on demand' than unmanagable. At autox, I run 40/39 or 40/40 with decent success.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Now you have me confused.. you say you're running 10psi less than in the front but then you say you run 40/40. Which is it?

-- Perplexed in TX
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

You guys are running that high psi? For track days I tend to set the fronts at about 35, rear 32 or so (warmer days fronts are 34, rear 31) cold and that's pretty good all day. I'm guessing that since with an autox the tires never heat up that much you'd bump it up a bit, but 40/40 seems high. I don't know hardly anything though, so don't take my word for that. One thing though, if you make the rear pressure lower than the front, as someone said, that should help reduce oversteer. Kabob, maybe try lowering everything, like 38 front, 36 or 35 rear, see how that works.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!