GSR Converted Type R or Honda Civic Si w/ B16 which to buy??

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Katana950
New ITRCA Member

GSR Converted Type R or Honda Civic Si w/ B16 which to buy??

Post by Katana950 »

Hi,
My name is Joe and I 16 and planning on buying a GSR this summer, but only because that is all I can afford. Do you guys think it is alright to convert everything to Type R specs. Especially JDM stuff. It will be an ongoing project, so that is pretty much my only option. My other thought is a 88-91 or 92-95 Civic Si and then swap in a SIR II B16. Which one would you buy?
mythias
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by mythias »

I would stick with just the GSR

First of all, the cost of converting a GSR to type-r specs is far more than buying a type-r itself. You are talking alot of work, especially if you want it to be JDM. Yer talking engine swap, suspension, breaks, lug conversion, etc etc etc.. the list goes on and on. Also, if you purchase a B18C or B18C5, you have to think about where it came from and how many miles could be on it. Its most likely from a wreck.
Secondly, it will never be a type-r. You can do all the conversions and mods you want, but the fact will always remain that it is not a type-r.

I would save your $, and get the GSR. You are only 16, you dont need some wicked fast ride only to wrap it around a tree. If you still want more power though, just boost it. It will be cheaper and you also wont piss off people for driving around an imitation type-r.

-Mythias
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

Buy the GSR and enjoy the car for while, at 16 id be learning how to drive properly and not go overboard with modding the hell out of it.
CW 98 #805
nightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by nightrider »

just get the gsr and maybe upgrade later. even now, a gsr would be not as practical for you considering the theft of these damn integras. :?
00-1526 FBP JDM front-end
revolution8k
New ITRCA Member

Post by revolution8k »

If you buy a GSR or Civic Si just build some sort of FI setup, get yourself a nice suspension setup and learn how to drive without being stupid on teh streets.

Don't bother swapping for that extra 25-35 hp. It wouldn't be worth the work and money you put into it.
Katana950
New ITRCA Member

Post by Katana950 »

I will probably go with the GSR then. I am planning on autocrossing and some track events. I probably will leave the GSR mainly stock then.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

How much can you afford?

Maybe if you posted that someone would have a car that might be 'right' for you and your budget?
swed
CanadianR
New ITRCA Member

Post by CanadianR »

The EG6 Civic with a B16 could be almost as fast as an R with some mods. I have a friend with an EG6 with a B16 and Type R tranny with JDM fd and some decent wheels, R compound tires and suspension for an R and he is pretty much as fast as me ( i have the jdm fd as well). we are quite evenly matched in a straight line and in the autocross, although i think he is a better driver than me. I think you could build one of these cheaper than buying a GSR if you know how to wrench on the car yourself. The EG would probably be a little better in the autocross due to it's much lighter weight. But either the GSR or the EG would be good choices, but i wouldn't recommend trying to make a GSR into a JDM spec Type R. Just thought i'd offer up a different perspective.
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

Buy the GSR...learn to drive it and maintain it properly. Then, when you have the proper knowledge, build up the GSR and make it faster than an ITR :wink:
Katana950
New ITRCA Member

Post by Katana950 »

I am leaning towards the Civic EG6. It is cheaper and will be faster for the money. I am going to get the JDM diff because it is only $300 when you buy a motor. I can work on the car myself. I just rebuilt a Toyota 22R with Weber carb and Cam and .040 on the bore. It runs great and I am very satisfied. I just want a fast car now! :wink: I will be autocrossing the car so I want it to handle good more than anything. But of course I want to have a faster car then most of the kids at my high school.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Katana950 wrote: But of course I want to have a faster car then most of the kids at my high school.
Simple and cheap:
1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 notchback ...$3000.00
+
Supercharger System, $3,348.95
=
fast car for cheap.

But really I think you should worry more about homework and pimples.
swed
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

Post by Azcheron »

in case everyone has forgotten.... i just bought an R and im trying to sell a 1998 GSR with a LOT of work already done to it... the car is fast and handles nicely and has a lot of extras including 2 sets of wheels and so on....so it seems that many people have been talking about getting a GSR lately...

let me say this..... I am selling my GSR for less than book value because i cant afford to have both the GSR and the R and whoever gets my GSR is getting 8k in bonus mods for free, my loss is ur gain, think about it, the car is only selling for like 8k. the rims alone cost me almost 3k
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

To stay on topic, and considering your age... the GSR is a great car but will seriously dent the pocket book in the insurance category... The honda hatch will obviously be quite a bit cheaper insurance wise and by swapping in even a b16 it'll be quite a bit faster than the stock GSR overall... Depends kinda what you're planning to do with the car... personally if I were 16 all over again and considering the average financial bracket most 16 (young adults) are in, you're best option I'd think would be pay the lower insurance on the civic hatch and swap in a motor of your choice... If you really wanted to up the anti, buy the hatch and put the C5 in that... you'll be able to pull on just about anything out there of its class (ie.. Type R, boosted Si, GSR, etc...)

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
mythias
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by mythias »

When it comes to the insurance, it really depends on where you live, your driving record, your coverage, and your company, so for him it may or may not be high on the insurance... its something he would have to get a quote to detrmine. In eastern PA, the difference in insurance with progressive between the LS, GSR and Type-R is minimal. I went from an LS to type R, and it only went up $60 for a 6 month policy. The overall cost is high though since I have rather extensive coverage. It all depends on insurance.

-Mythias