Header question. JDM vs DC JDM

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
FBP ITR#00-0202
New ITRCA Member

Header question. JDM vs DC JDM

Post by FBP ITR#00-0202 »

What's the best header for an 00 ITR? I have heard the JDM headers are good.. but what's the difference between JDM and DC JDM? I plan on running a Carsound cat and some sort of exhaust. On that note, what exhaust does anyone recommend? So far my only performance mod is the Comptech Icebox.. but Christmas is coming, and hopefully so is a header/cat/exhaust. :wink: :mrgreen:
I heart my Integra
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

There really isn't a hell of a lot of difference between the 98 spec JDM 4-1 and the DC JDM 4-1, other then the fact that the DC piece is a little lighter, and is either stainless or ceramic coated, where as the JDM 4-1 is cast, you can use heat shields on, which is a plus, and looks stock.

DC claims that their header flows better, which may be true, as for the fact that it was released as a replacement for the 98 spec JDM 4-1 header, but who knows......

I any case, the DC JDM 4-1 is on sale at inlinefour.com with the donut gasket for $300, which happens to be a good deal, otherwise the 98 spec JDM 4-1 is about 360 + 35 dollar donut gasket, and then another 100 bucks in heatshielding, which isn't necesary obviously, but is a nice touch, and does keep a great deal of heat out of your engine bay.

Good luck,
Aj
FBP ITR#00-0202
New ITRCA Member

now do you have to get a carsound cat when you get the JDM header? I heard you have to do custom flanges if you want to use the stock cat. Also, will the JDM 4-1 and carsound cat bolt right up to the factory exhaust? Thanks for the help.
I heart my Integra
FBP ITR#00-0202
New ITRCA Member

I went to inlinefour.com and the DC JDM 4-1 (ceramic) is 316 + 30 for the gasket or +85 for the gasket and the flange. I hate to sound stupid, but would I need the flange? What all would I need to run a Carsound cat and the DC JDM 4-1?
I heart my Integra
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, I don't run a cat, since I don't live in a state that does emmisions, but If I'm not mistaken, carsound makes a cat with a 2.5inch receiveing end, so you wouldn't need the flange, although you will need the donut gasket.

other then the header, the donut gasket, and that carsound cat you mentioned, that's all you need, as far as anything else, if carsound doesn't make it, there are plenty of other high flow cat companies that make cat's for a header with a 2.5 inch collector.

Later,
Aj
steves98itr247
New ITRCA Member

Post by steves98itr247 »

I have the SS JDM DC header with the carsound cat 94006. I went to honda and got a donut gasket for a S2000 and it fit perfectly
missnmyR
New ITRCA Member

Post by missnmyR »

i went through the same debate as you and decided on the DC JDM stainless...i got it from inlinefour through a price match...i got it for 330...and also ordered the honda gasket from them...i just got a 2.5" cat from a muffler shop and ran that...it ran very well and sounded very good...even though this might not sound that great i ran a 14.8 on a 85 degree summer nite with that header...everyone was running shitty but the car was still running pretty good...i was pleased...from a roll...there werent many street cars i couldnt walk away from...if you need anymore help just pm me...later.
i want another R :(
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Sick TR »

missnmyR wrote:i went through the same debate as you and decided on the DC JDM stainless...i got it from inlinefour through a price match...i got it for 330...and also ordered the honda gasket from them...i just got a 2.5" cat from a muffler shop and ran that...it ran very well and sounded very good...even though this might not sound that great i ran a 14.8 on a 85 degree summer nite with that header...everyone was running shitty but the car was still running pretty good...i was pleased...from a roll...there werent many street cars i couldnt walk away from...if you need anymore help just pm me...later.
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Sick TR »

If you want to notice any differents in your car, get the JDM's don't waste you money on the DC thats more for like B16 motor. I waste $340 when I got the DC and about 3 or 4 weeks later I have to spend another $450 for the JDM's and I really notice big differents.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I think when he says DC he means the DC JDM (2.5" collector) which is just as good as the OEM JDM. Clearance on the JDM isn't as good as the OEM and people often smash them on the bottom.

You will need a Carsound Cat custom built to length for your car. Try SMS Products for the Cat/Test Pipe. smsproducts@earthlink.com is Daves email.

YOu coudl also try mike at http://www.ipsracing.com.

Both are Expo sponsors!

PLEASE tell them Trey from the Type-R Expo sent you.