Noob Question regardin Expo6 and roll cage?!..

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Noob Question regardin Expo6 and roll cage?!..

Post by naDC2R »

As i was reading up on the info and inspection sheets from expo5, assuming that expo6 will have the same rules..

My car actually came with "monkey bars" from japan, and was told the roll cage, if u would call it that, that it was approved by some association in japan that meets a certain safety standard. Its a 4 point cage behind the front seats, hopefully the pics work, and the paddin was removed cause it was a pinkish color, so yea, lol. it has a badge on the bar itself, but its mostly in japanese, all i can make out is the "DC2" written on it.

So im wondering, will i be allowed to run at expo with this? are the paddings a must have? cause i would like to know for sure, so i dont get there, and then find out im not allowed to run my car cause they dont know about my cage.
I'll take better pics if required, and of that badge thing too if needed, i just want to make sure ill be ok when i show up at expo.

Note- i had the cage out of the car when i had the rear seats in, but now i gutted it, i still need to clean things up still, the bars arent even fully tightened yet either.

96 Spec R
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by naDC2R »

heres a temporary pic of the badge, very hard to see though..sorry for the bad lighting.

96 Spec R
MikeB
New ITRCA Member

Post by MikeB »

You dont need padding but its recommended. My friend ran Expo 5 with the same design roll bar as you. You shouldnt have any problems what so ever.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

I'll run it by Tech for you now. I don't suspect there will be a problem, but I don't make the call.

**It appears that both seats and seatbelts are identical, is that correct = very important!

We'll keep you posted.
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by naDC2R »

BudMan wrote:I'll run it by Tech for you now. I don't suspect there will be a problem, but I don't make the call.

**It appears that both seats and seatbelts are identical, is that correct = very important!

We'll keep you posted.
Yes both seats are the same, factory from honda, and both seatbelts are in working condition, oem seatbelts. i will be removin the rear seatbelts though as there is no reason for them to be there really anymore.

Thanks for the help guys! 8)
96 Spec R
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Our tech master said "ok". You will have no problem from what we see at this point.

See you there.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

Should be alright as long as its totally behind the front seats while you and your passenger are seated, but you should definitely go ahead and get padding for it just for your own safety.

Nice purse by the way. :P
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

As noted...tech master took a second look:

"Rollbar padding is required as per the event rules. Since it's the instructor that will be the tech for each car - if the bar isn't padded and the instructor doesn't have a problem with it neither do I. It's their call.

I would warn any student it's not worth taking the chance that they will have a problem with it. Buy some padding to put around the head area."
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by naDC2R »

Thanks alot for the fast replies and info. i'll make sure i put some sort of paddin around it.

And no, thats not my purse, its my gf's, she took those pics, lol!
96 Spec R
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

naDC2R wrote: i'll make sure i put some sort of paddin around it.
Please make sure that you use the correct padding, the wrong stuff could result in serious damage or death.
swed
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

YES - go order the right padding. I think ioport has some.
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by naDC2R »

Should the padding have an approval of some sort on it? how do i know if its the right padding or not? any help will be appreciated.
96 Spec R
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

swed
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Thanks Rob - I didn't have time this morning to do a search... :-)
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by naDC2R »

thanks alot guys! ill order exactly that, so i should be good to go for sure now! :D
96 Spec R
nadc2rBella
New ITRCA Member

Post by nadc2rBella »

Erik95LS wrote:Nice purse by the way. :P
hahahaha omg!!!!! How did u catch that lol .. thats hilarious!

My bad :oops:
Noella Bella
mattrose86
New ITRCA Member

Post by mattrose86 »

BudMan wrote:I'll run it by Tech for you now. I don't suspect there will be a problem, but I don't make the call.

We'll keep you posted.
question:
why is it important to have the same seat for the driver and passenger? I for one at this moment only have a bucket for myself. I know a lot at expo5 had this same setup.
Splitime
New ITRCA Member

Post by Splitime »

mattrose86 wrote:

We'll keep you posted.
question:
why is it important to have the same seat for the driver and passenger? I for one at this moment only have a bucket for myself. I know a lot at expo5 had this same setup.
Equal safety for driver and instructor. Its really as simple as that.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

mattrose86 wrote:

We'll keep you posted.
question:
That's an easy answer...

From a safety standpoint, it is very reasonable to request identical seats. In the end, I believe our rules say it's up to the instructor's final decision, but here's the scoop:

- If the driver is in a bucket with a harness, they are more likely to drive considerably more aggressively than a regular seat and a belt. Granted, that student may have considerable experience so an incident is not that likely, but the odds say otherwise.

- If the driver has to put his stock seat back in or at least offer similar safety equipment for the instructor, then the odds are in the instructor's favor that he has someone who is either 1) experienced 2) serious about what they are doing.

- It is possible to have a 'joker' who can afford to buy 2 seats and/or harnesses (harness requires roll-cage) but that person will be few in number & will quickly be ejected from our event for said jack-assery.

Hope that helps. We are trying to cause a pain, but consider - these instructors are putting their life on the line to help the student. Let's treat them with respect.

We appreciate your question. Lance is the tech-master...he'll correct me as needed.

BudMan
'old fat guy'
mattrose86
New ITRCA Member

Post by mattrose86 »

thanks for the reply. I was just wondering since Ryan T and Mike S didnt have same seats last event. I hope who ever rides with me can squeeze into a buddy club narrow. Dave? lol
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

My thoughts... (does not hold much value) :roll:

If the passenger seat exceeds the safety of the driver's seat but does not exceed the car's safety
(such as fixed seats w/o proper cage) then why not and put them in.
swed
Splitime
New ITRCA Member

Post by Splitime »

mattrose86 wrote:thanks for the reply. I was just wondering since Ryan T and Mike S didnt have same seats last event. I hope who ever rides with me can squeeze into a buddy club narrow. Dave? lol
Heh, I've had to request instructor swaps to make sure they could fit in my seats ;)

We'll see how instructor matching goes... I know I fit into BCs... seeing as I use them in my car :p
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Splitime wrote:
mattrose86 wrote:thanks for the reply. I was just wondering since Ryan T and Mike S didnt have same seats last event. I hope who ever rides with me can squeeze into a buddy club narrow. Dave? lol
Heh, I've had to request instructor swaps to make sure they could fit in my seats ;)

We'll see how instructor matching goes... I know I fit into BCs... seeing as I use them in my car :p
Gee Dave - have you had to go buy your own tires yet? Expo 5 flashback!

My kaa will look a little different...
Splitime
New ITRCA Member

Post by Splitime »

BudMan wrote: Gee Dave - have you had to go buy your own tires yet? Expo 5 flashback!

My kaa will look a little different...
Heh, don't make me lap you! or something :p

I won those tires fair and square mister.... I'm still on them btw ;) They are still my first set of Rcomps... I'm to cheap to buy Rcomps for myself :p
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

I'm still running them too ;-)