Tires Opinions

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
IdealConcepts
New ITRCA Member

Tires Opinions

Post by IdealConcepts »

I looking to purchase new tires and want to hear this group's opinions. Currently I have stock rims with Kumho 712s (205-50-15), low priced ($62 each) tires with decent performance, and my Type R (2000 PY #27) is lowered about 1.75 inches in the front and rear with cambers on the front and rear. I'm looking at purchasing either Toyo Proxes T1-S or Yokohama ES100 (according to a tire shop these are replacing the A520s) in the 205-50-15 size. I was quoted about $100 each with install and everything else for the Yokohamas. For the Toyo's I was quoted, from an auto performance shop $119 without install or anything, $146 without install or anything from another tire shop. Are these resonable prices for the Toyos and Yokahamas? Also what are people's experiences/opinions/thoughts on each tire. I use my Type R as my daily driver and haven't taken it out to the track yet. I want to find a tire that will give me good traction in dry and wet conditions and improved performance incase the situation calls for it. Thanks in advance for your opinions and information.
bbqman
Canadian Director

Tires

Post by bbqman »

Toyo T1-s are probably the best 'street high performance tire' available. I've raced on them in the SVWC touring clas, albeit in a VW...but that's another story.
Personally I like Toyo RA-1's for my everyday use, even though they are R compounds....it seems to fit on a Type-R....
The Ra-1 will give you a good summer worth of pleasure and allows you to fully enjoy the ITR handling prowess
However, lesser tires are just a lot of fun to oversteer with and let the 'R' rotate. Tire wear can be similar because traction loss wears them down faster.
If you eventually go to the track, you won't be sorry with the RA-1's as beginner rubber.

Just my biased opinion...lol
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

For some other fairly educated opinions I've always felt the people at 'Tire Rack' had a pretty good handle on things. They've helped me more than a few times and I've always been impressed with their 'fairly' impartial and well-informed opinions.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I would reccomd them this way.

Depending on budget this is the most money concious reccommendation I can give you.

If hydroplane resistance is a concern the best tire for money and every day use is the Yokohama ES100. THe Second best is Bridgestone S03 but is much more $$.

The best gripping tire is also very cheap which is the Azenis. THese don;t have quite the hydroplane resistance of the others but I have never hjad any major complaints with them in the rain.

These are my best suggestions. T1-S is a good tire but more than 2 times the cost of the ES100. And not near the grip of the Azenis.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

I had the ES100s on my VW GTi over the summer, and I absolutely loved them. I can't compare them to the stock Type R RE010s, as my R came with this crappy Firestones on it, but for a performance tire in general, I was very pleased with it. I never came close to reaching the tire's limits on the street (sadly, it's getting sold before the track open up), so I would think it would be fine on an R.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

My fav

Post by Aj »

The tires I've tried, so I've like and some not:

Pirelli P-zero - not bad -> WAY OVER PRICED!!!!!
Kumho Ecsta 712 -> good tire for the money, just so so on the performance aspect
Bridgestone RE010 -> great tire, but too much $
Yokohama AO32R -> Great tire, worth every dollar, but don't last long.
Michelan Pilot Sport Cup -> Best yet, but not at all worth almost a grand for 15's
Falken Azenis -> Great tire, great price, definitely the best tire on a budget of under a buck fifty a tire
Toyo RA1 -> great tire, last for nothing
Hoosiers -> HATE EM' ALL!!!!
Nito NT555R -> sticky, but not so great otherwise...
Nito NT450 -> Don't even bother

Out of all the tire I've tried and liked, the Azenis are probably the only ones that I would consider buying again. After spending obscene amount of money on tires, there are probably 3 I would buy again, but won't because, frankly they're just too much money. Pilot's, A032R, and RA1 in that order.

Any way you look at it, if you're only using them on the street, it really doesn't matter all that much, good luck with what ever you decide.

Later,
Aj
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

rubber

Post by Jan Niemi »

You rubber-murderer!!!
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
IdealConcepts
New ITRCA Member

Post by IdealConcepts »

Thanks for all the information and the opinions.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: rubber

Post by Aj »

Jan Niemi wrote:You rubber-murderer!!!
That, or guy with three cars....

Later,
Aj
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

what about bf goodwrinch g-force t/a's? and toyo t1s's?
I had both, toyo's were awesome and not to expensive. G-forces were unbelievable(in dry) but expensive.
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
descartesfool
New ITRCA Member

Post by descartesfool »

I agree with AJ. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is the best tire for the dry, but not for the wet. I think they are about $190 each for an ITR.

While I was at the Detroit auto show, Subaru was showing off their new STI, and it was shod with the newest Bridgestone RE-070, which is the same tire used on the new NSX Type R that just won EVO magazine's Performance Car Of The Year. This was the first time I had actually seen these tries in the flesh, and I haven't checked if you can get them but they looked absolutely awesome!, And if they are good enough for an NSX Type R, maybe an Integra Type R too.
When it feelsa good, throttle!!
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I have the Bridgestone Potenza S03's, in 205's - stock wheel. I've been very happy with them, for everyday use.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

How do the S03s compare with the original R tire, the RE010, as far as dry and wet traction and wear?
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
thebusdriver
New ITRCA Member

Post by thebusdriver »

Just got some Kumho 712 put on my ITR 195/55...yes I stayed stock

The tire feels heavy but then again I ran the stock tires into the ground.

They are cheap....VR rated.....and they do what they have to do. I don't rally or race but they do get me to work and home everyday so they were worth the price.
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I think the SO3's have better wet traction; dry I'm not so sure - probably so close I'd have to compare them on a track. I got the slightly larger size because I felt the stock R, and I do want to keep it stock otherwise, looks a little under-tired. Not that the 205's are a huge difference but they do make SOME difference in the appearance, and of course don't adversely affect drivability in any way.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

I don't give a rat's patootie about wet/snow/all-season/crap traction and just bought a seperate set of Euro-spec ITR rims to race with.

Falken Azenis still the best value for absolute grip?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

kabob wrote: Falken Azenis still the best value for absolute grip?
Yes.
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

Different people use their cars for different things. Some of us live in 4 season parts of the country and drive their cars everyday. Our needs are obviously different from the weekend racer and/or mild year-long climate.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Thank ye, O Intrepid Admin 8)
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

joe s wrote:Different people use their cars for different things. Some of us live in 4 season parts of the country and drive their cars everyday. Our needs are obviously different from the weekend racer and/or mild year-long climate.
So buy 2 sets of wheels. Azenis for the summer and blizzaks for the winter :-)

I think 3 tire worth consideration are Azenis Yoko ES100 and Kumho MX. For snow none of them will work but anything acceptable for snow wwill suck on the auto-x/track
phoenixR
New ITRCA Member

Post by phoenixR »

Toyo T1-S , in my opinion best street/ performance tire, and not too expensive.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

phoenixR wrote:Toyo T1-S , in my opinion best street/ performance tire, and not too expensive.
You hit your head?

an Azenis is $68 a tire shipped (discount tire direct)

a Yoko ES100 is $73 plus shipping per tire. (Tire Rack)

A Toyo T1-S is $114 plus tax (local dealer as Toyo isn't sold online)

THat being said the ES100 has equal grip if not better and weighs slightly more. THe Azenis has far better grip and weighs 3-4 pounds more.

The T1-S although lightweight has a softer sidewall than some and lacks the grip found in others. It's all trade offs but grip/dollar goes to the Azenis. FOr the price of the Toyo I would say consider Bridgestone S03's.

Trey
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

I gotta toss in a twist...

Has anyone used the Sumitomo HTR Z on their R yet?

I think thats going to be my next tire on the stock wheels, (205-50/15) and they are speed rated to 186.

But will keep the Azenis On the Rotas! for the flat out halling ass days.
swed
TypeR00_0371
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR00_0371 »

S03's rock

kumho 712's suck ass
kumho 711's are pretty good, and cheaper than dirt
Nitto 450's suck unless you run a 225*50*15, and then they still suck
kumho victoracer v-700's are pretty good
yoko ao32's rock
stock re010's Priceless, no really they are.
Gonna' have to try some falken tires on the 17's, and gonna' mount up some BFG TA DR's on the 15's
Stop Whining!!
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

I'm switching to Yokohama AVS100 on my daily drive rims when my tires are bald (I'd give it another 5k-8k for that). Currently running Falken Azenis (205/50/15) for my racing rims :)

BTW, anybody that doubts the Azenis' grip: I ran a 14.739 bone stock on an ice cold day that had been raining off and on with the track still wet 8)